Thursday, August 26, 2010

NO!

No - adverb (a negative used to express disent, denial or refusal, as in response to a question or request)

Can you bake five dozen cupcakes for the bake sale tomorrow? Would you like to help organize our cancer walk? Will you please make a hundred wedding invitations for my third cousin? Absolutely! I'd love too! No problem!

What is wrong with me? Why does the word no evade me so? The answer isn't what you think.

You're a people pleaser many reply. So I turn to the internet for answers. It turns out that people pleasers are "desperate people" who want "everyone to like them." Well, anyone who has seen me drive knows that this is simply not true.

Perhaps I just have an altruistic desire to make a difference in the world. I believe that each of us is responsible for leaving the world a little better than we found it. I mean, if us so-called people pleasers don't step up to the plate, who will? Lord knows, this beautiful planet does not need any more selfish people. If I can touch a life in some way I will. Those cupcakes are going to help build the playground that hundreds of little kids will use every day!! How can I say no to that?

So I'm here to tell you that I'm not crazy, desperate, or afraid (no snickering!). I just enjoy making a difference. I realize that giving really touches a chord deep within all of us. Helping others brings good feelings to both the giver and the receiver and using your special gifts to help others makes you feel more connected to yourself and to the world around you. So go ahead, say yes. You can do it!

2 comments: